Pasta with Aubergine and Tomatoes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2 medium aubergines, cut into 2cm (3/4 in) chunks
- 6 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6-8 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water for 10-15 minutes and cut into strips
- 450g (1lb) ripe plum or large vine-ripened tomatoes, skinned and chopped roughly
- 350g (12oz) penne or similar pasta
- 2 tbsp torn fresh basil leaves
- Extra oil to drizzle
- Freshly shaved or grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
Heat the oil in a large frying pan add the chopped onion and cook 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until it softens. Increase the heat a little add the aubergine chunks and stir-fry for 10 minutes until the aubergine is golden and beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic.
Meanwhile cook the pasta in boiling salted water for 10 minutes or until al dente.
Add the sun-dried tomato strips to the aubergine add the chopped tomatoes to the pan with 5 tbsp water and simmer the sauce for 5-8 minutes.
Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce with the torn basil leaves.
Drizzle with extra olive oil and scatter Parmesan cheese on top if desired. Serve immediately.
If fresh plum tomatoes are not available, use a 400g can. If preferred, add red wine in place of the water for the sauce.