Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 2 aubergines cut into small cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Tomato & Ricotta Pesto
- ½ tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 400g linguine
- 50g Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the aubergine and cook on a high heat in batches until golden. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
Wipe the pan. Add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and cook the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until golden over a medium heat. Add the tomatoes, pesto, aubergine and chilli flakes. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of salted water for 8-10 minutes or according to packet instructions. Drain the pasta and reserve a little of the pasta water.
Tip the pasta into the sauce, add a little pasta water and stir thoroughly. Serve with fresh basil and grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese.
Did you know:
This classic Sicilian recipe of ripe tomatoes, succulent golden aubergines and pasta makes a seriously delicious, yet budget-friendly, supper.