Blood Orange Salad
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: none
- 4 large blood oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 4 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A little sea salt, to taste
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Monti Iblei Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pitted black olives to garnish
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
Garnish with the pitted black olives and drizzle with Filippo Berio Monti Iblei Extra Virgin Olive Oil to finish. Serve at room temperature.
The acidity, aromas and sweetness of this salad go beautifully with a delicate, light, soft wine like the Alcamo Bianco DOC from Palermo and Trapani.
Did you know:
The orange is now considered one of the flagship products of Sicily and this red orange salad is a dish of ancient origin.
According to Sicilian grandfathers, this blood orange salad was the perfect lunch to enjoy under the trees during the harvest - delicious, quick to prepare and inexpensive.
A wonderful colourful salad that can be made in advance and eaten later. Ideally serve this recipe at room temperature. Make sure that all the pith is removed from the orange then cut into segments with a sharp stainless steel knife.