Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil for deep frying
- 2 eggs, separated
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 250m sparkling water
- 1 large red onion, broken into rings
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 large courgette, sliced
- 6-8 large raw prawns, peeled, tails intact
Half fill a large deep pan or deep fat fryer with the oil and heat to 180C/350F. Mix the egg yolks flour salt and water together. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the batter.
Dip the vegetables and prawns into the batter a few at a time and drop into the hot oil. Deep fry in batches for 2-3 minutes stirring until pale golden. Drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm. Repeat until all the vegetables and prawns are cooked. Serve with salsa verde (see Cook's tip).
For salsa verde, place a few sprigs each of basil, mint and flat parsley in a food processor with 2 tbsp capers, 1 clove garlic, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and blend until smooth. Add 6tbsp Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive and blend again.