Filippo Berio Mayonnaise
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: none
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp ready made mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pinch of sugar to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 150ml/14 pint Filippo Berio Olive Oil
Place the egg yolk, seasoning, sugar and half the lemon juice into a bowl.
Whisk contents thoroughly until fully blended, then slowly whisk in the olive oil one drop at a time to create a thick consistency. If the mayonnaise gets too thick add the remaining lemon juice.
Season to taste and keep in a sterilised clean jar for up to 2-3 days in the fridge.
Speedy Blender Method:
Place the egg yolks, sugar, seasoning and half the lemon juice into a blender or food processor and blend well.
Gradually add the oil through the funnel in the lid, mixing all the while, until thick. Add the remaining lemon juice until desired consistency is achieved.
Turn mayonnaise it into a delicious dip for crudities by adding additional seasoning, herbs and/or spices.
This recipe contains raw egg yolk.
How to make the perfect mayonnaise:
- Have the ingredients at room temperature.
- If the mixture is too thick, simply add a little warm water, single cream or extra lemon juice.
- If the mayonnaise curdles, briskly whisk in another egg yoke.