Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 small individual ciabatta sticks or 1 small, thin French stick
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pesto and Prawn :
- 1 tomato, skinned and diced
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 6 cooked and peeled large or tiger prawns
- 6 small basil leaves
Tuna with Herbs and Olives :
- 80g can tuna chunks in brine
- A few sprigs dill or parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 25g (1oz) black or green olives, stoned and sliced
Egg and Bacon :
- 2 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 large egg, hard-boiled
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- A few chives
To prepare the crostini: Pre-heat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF or Gas Mark 5. Cut the ciabatta or French stick into thin slices about 5mm (1/4 in) thick.
Place on a baking sheet and drizzle or brush with the ol-ive oil. Bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden. (These can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container).
Pesto and Prawn Topping: Halve the tomato discard the seeds and dice into very small pieces mix into the pesto sauce. Spread on six of the toasts and place a tiger prawn on each. Brush lightly with olive oil and garnish with basil leaves.
If preferred replace the prawns with a small blob of creamy goat's cheese
Tuna with Herbs and Olive Topping: Drain the tuna and mash with a fork, add the herbs and olive oil and mix together. Season well then fold in the olives. Spoon onto 6 of the toasts and add a small sprig of herb if desired.
Egg and Bacon Topping: Grill the bacon until crisp, drain on kitchen paper then chop finely. Chop the hard boiled egg and mix in a bowl with thhe mayonnaise and bacon, season with salt and pepper. Carefully spoon the mixture onto about six toasts and sprinkle with finely chopped chives.