Melanzane alla Tarantina
Preparation time: 25 - 30 minutes plus 30 minutes soaking
Cook time: 45 - 60 minutes
- 2 medium aubergines, trimmed and sliced length wise
- A pinch of salt
- 50g pecorino cheese, grated finely
- 50g capers in brine, rinsed and dried
- 4 mint leaves, chopped
- 4 basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 50g cured black olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 6-8 tbsp Filippo Berio Dauno Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Soak the cut aubergines in cold salted water for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse the aubergine to remove the salt and pat dry with kitchen paper. Score the aubergine flesh into diamond shapes.
Prepare the topping by blending together 5 tbsp Filippo Berio Dauno Extra Virgin Olive Oil, cheese, capers, herbs and black olives. Divide the topping among the slices of aubergine, pressing the topping into the diamond cuts with a spoon.
Arrange the aubergine on a lined baking sheet, drizzle with Filippo Berio Dauno Extra Virgin Olive Oil and cover with foil.
Bake in a preheated oven 200 degrees C / 400 degrees F/ Gas mark 6 for 25/30 minutes or until the flesh is soft and well cooked. Serve with a generous drizzle of Filippo Berio Dauno Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
With the rich softness of the cheese, this flavourful, aromatic dish calls for a fruity, floral wine, fresh and tasty - perhaps a Castel del Monte DOC (Uva di Troia).